Before You Start
Make sure not to slice the potato all the way through.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F on Convection Mode with a rack set on position 3.
2. Melt butter in a sauce pan and add oil, herbs and other seasonings.
3. To cut the potatoes — place the potato on the counter between two cutting boards of the same thickness, about ¼ to ½-inch thick. Two pieces of cardboard or chopsticks can also be used.
4. Cut across the width of the potato every ¼-inch from end to end. Ensure that you do not cut completely through the potatoes to keep the bottom of the potato intact.
5. Gently toss the potatoes with the butter mixture in a large bowl to coat.
6. Place potatoes in a 9x13 baking dish and into the oven. As the potatoes bake, the slices will begin to open up.
7. Bake for 1 hour and then add the cheese on top. Try to sprinkle it between the slices as well as on top of the potatoes.
8. Bake for an additional 8–10 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.