Before You Start
Silicone baking mats are a great way to prevent the nuts from sticking to the baking tray as you roast them.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F on Roast Mode with racks set on positions 1 and 3.
2. Use a Silpat®/silicone baking mat in a baking tray or spray a nonstick baking tray with pan spray.
3. Spread the pecans into a single large layer on the pan.
4. Place them in the oven on the rack at position 3.
5. Roast the pecans for 7–8 minutes, stirring halfway through.
6. Remove the pecans from the oven.
7. In a medium bowl mix the brown sugar, water and pepper until well combined.
8. Toss pecans with sugar mixture then return them to the baking tray, spreading them into a single layer.
9. Place the pan back into the oven on rack position 1.
10. Roast the pecans for 8 minutes stirring halfway through.
11. Remove the pecans from the oven and in a clean medium size bowl, toss pecans with kosher salt.
12. Pour the pecans onto a piece of parchment paper or onto a clean baking tray and allow to cool. Be careful as the liquid sugar coating the pecans is hot! The nuts will harden as they cool.
13. Allow to fully cool before serving.