Before You Start
QUICK TIP: Preheat the bake stone in the oven, placing it on the very bottom rack and removing all others. After baking, leave the stone in the oven to cool.
To Prepare The Dough
- Place the bowl of a stand mixer on a digital kitchen scale and tare, so the display shows a weight of zero.
- Measure 310 grams of water into the bowl. Add honey and yeast to mixing bowl; it is best to use volume measurements for smaller-volume ingredients. Whisk until honey dissolves.
- Place the flour in a medium-size bowl. Add salt and vital wheat gluten, if desired. Whisk to combine.
- Pour flour mixture into the mixing bowl with water, honey, and yeast.
- Use a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment to knead dough on medium-low speed for 5 minutes. Pause to scrape the sides, if necessary.
- Leave the bowl on the mixer and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest 10 minutes. Knead on medium-low speed again for 5 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and roll into a tight ball. Coat lightly with oil and place into a container large enough to accommodate the dough doubled in size. Cover the container and refrigerate at least overnight; however, the best flavor is achieved with two full days in the refrigerator.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, divide into four equal portions, and roll into balls. Dust with flour and cover with a towel or plastic wrap.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F Stone Mode with a bake stone and rack set on position “1.”
- Once the oven preheats, roll out a dough ball into an 8- to 10-inch circle on a floured surface. The remaining dough balls may be rolled out or frozen for later use.
- Dust the top of the rolled-out dough and a pizza peel with flour.
- Flip the pizza dough over and place the floured surface of the pizza dough onto the floured peel—this will make sliding the pizza into the oven much easier.
- Add your favorite pizza sauce and toppings. As the cheese melts, it will spread—be sure to leave some open space and do not overcrowd the toppings.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and slide the pizza onto the center of the preheated bake stone.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the pizza has reached the desired browning.