Before You Start
If bread is fresh, leave out overnight to dry. Substitute challah bread for brioche, if desired.
To Make French Toast
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bake Mode with a rack set at position “3.”
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk milk, eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, nutmeg, and salt together
- Set griddle to 350°F; add 1½ teaspoons butter and evenly coat the cooking surface with melted butter using a wooden spatula.
- One slice at a time, dip bread in the egg mixture, letting excess custard drip back into the bowl; transfer to griddle and cook until golden, 2–3 minutes per side, adding more butter as needed.
- Transfer griddled French toast to a baking sheet. Bake until puffed, 8–10 minutes.
To Make Browned Butter
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook and constantly stir 4 tablespoons butter until foam subsides and browned bits form, 3–5 minutes. Transfer browned butter to a cold serving dish.
- Drizzle browned butter over baked French toast. Top each slice with 1 tablespoon maple syrup or more to taste. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.