This classic red sauce, with its robust roasted red pepper flavor, is the perfect pairing for the pappardelle.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F Convection Roast Mode with a rack set at position “4.” Rub red peppers with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast in oven for approximately 15 minutes turning every 5 minutes until slightly charred on all sides.
2. Once roasted, peel and core peppers. Puree in food processor and set aside.
3. Puree tomatoes in food processor.
4. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over low heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3–4 minutes.
5. Add pureed tomatoes, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, and tomato paste; stir to combine. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 30–40 minutes.
6. Add pureed red bell peppers. Simmer 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.