Before You Start
Remove the backbone by cutting through the rib bones with a kitchen shears. Turn the chicken breast side up and push down to flatten.
1. In a small bowl, combine rub ingredients.
2. Coat the chicken with the spice and herb rub, front and back, and under the skin on the thighs and breasts.
3. Arrange the lemon slices on the bottom of an oven-safe cast iron or roasting pan.
4. Place the chicken, breast side up, in the pan.
5. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the thigh.
6. Place the pan into the oven and plug the probe into the receptacle.
7. Set the oven to Gourmet Mode and choose Meat, Poultry, Whole Bird, Under 12, and Unbrined. The oven will cook the chicken on Convection Roast until the probe alert indicates it has reached the internal temperature of 180°F.
8. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before carving.